Sep 23, 2008

The View

The view, from the top of the house of a relative in Camaguey, while Ike was getting to them, up close and personal. The houses across the street were flooded up to their roofes...

A truck, apparently transporting evacuees, is seen here covered up to the wheels

A boat...
The water coming up to the second floor house...

There were only eigth steps left to get the water flooding the second floor's house... water level in the street up to your chest...

Some excerpts of the message I received, in my own translation. Names have been omitted, obviously, for security reasons:

"Mijita, this was horrible here. The street that you see completely flooded is mine, I have the river right there around the corner and the river's water started to come up to us around 4 p.m. and at 8 p.m. the water was already reaching a person's height.
There were only 8 steps left in my stairs to have the water in my front door ... I got a little nervious... I was alone, only with my neighbors that I took over my place because their house was completely flooded, it has very low ceilings and the water topped the ceiling of their home...
That nightmare is over and Thanks God, nobody from my family was seriously affected... now what we have left is the aftermath and the shortage... we are really going to feel it in a little while, when all the viandas that fell are gone... pero se que después nos la vamos a ver gris..."
But no, nobody there needs aid, not from the US nor European countries. No aid is needed; actually they are sending aid to Jamaica.
I wish someone could tell me how on earth can you free yourself from being between the wall and a damned hard rock...

1 comment:

Garrincha said...

holy crap!
¿tan fea se puso la cosa?