Oct 7, 2008

I just don't get this

I really can't understand why we --citizens and voters-- allow things like this to happen.

There are unscrupulous people out there by the tons. No question asked. But they can only conduct their dirty business (voter registration frauds --ACORN anyone?--, scams and the alike) if we open that door for them.

Yes, all those who needs someone else to push them to register to vote are guilty by association, by irresponsibility; you name it.

With the sole exception of elderly citizens that can not move, I don't see a single reason why a citizen legally qualified to vote has to wait for someone to to come and ask him/her to register to vote.

You know, a few months ago (Jeez! I can't remember the date!) MDH and I attended our naturalization ceremony in a local elementary school, where we received our citizenship's certificates.

Do you want to know what was the first thing I did the next morning?

I downloaded the voter registration application from my local Clerk & Recorder's website. We completed them, attached the photocopies of the requested documentation and dropped them in the mail.

As easy as 1-2-3.

And a few days later we received two little cards confirming our registration and asking to call them if we detected any mistake in the information.

We didn't need any voto latino group to hunt us down at the Wal-Mart exit. We knew that voting is our right, but it is also our responsibility.

I mean, is like a "no brainer". Well, maybe not so... maybe it is just a matter of --one more time-- that we don't take things for granted.

We have been so deprived of our voices and our rights and so evilly manipulated that we do know a thing or two about how crucial is to get involved.

That's why I don't get it.

No comments: