Jul 30, 2007

Colorado's Cuban bakery loggin' some OT

Para que se les haga agua la boca... a few days ago, I got inspired into my cooking, specially into desserts. And even when the Cuatro Leches it's not originally from Cuba -- as far as I know, it's from Nicaragua -- a Friday night I decided I would give it a try.

Kind of remembering the good days in Miami, and erasing the calories from all my thoughts.

And let me tell you: apparently, the experiment turned out successful, because there were almost nothing left to tell another story.

Believe me, it was not complicated AT ALL. I started with a plain panetela. FYI, I don't have a clue on how to say "panetela" in English. :(

Anyway, I made my panetela from the scratch, going back to those not that far away days in Cuba when we managed to bake home-made cakes with only two eggs... But here, in the U.S., you can buy it plain; it's just that I wasn't lucky that day in our local groceries stores.

The rest was pan comido.
  • 1 can of evaporated milk.
  • 1 can of condensed milk
  • 1 can of half and half
  • 1 can of Dulce de Leche --fanguito o leche quemada para los recordamos los días en las becas y en las escuelas al campo de Cuba--.
  • una pizca de sal --you know, for all that my Grandma was always saying, that all desserts always needed a little bit of salt--.

Mix the evaporated, condensed and half and half milks and add the salt. Cut the panetela into thick layers, and soak them thoroughly into the mix. Stacked them together using a layer of Dulce de Leche in between. Decorate the top with more Dulce de Leche, and add some colorful fruits if you need a bright touch.

And, voilá!!! Make a double batch if you're planning to invite some friends. If decide to experiment with a small one, just to see how it turns, then you are allowed to hide in the closet to eat, so not sharing with anybody else would be needed.

No comments: