Jul 1, 2008

Grieving for someone I've never met

I never met Pedro Luis Díaz Lanz.

I didn’t even know who he was until a couple of months ago, when I read Huber Matos’ testimony, “Cómo llegó la noche”.

I am grieving his loss, though.

And I feel sad to learn how he spent the last days of his life, after having given so much for Cuba’s freedom, after being one of the first ones that realized the whole scam behind castro’s rising to power.

It’s sad to see the loss of these veterans that have never lost the hope of a free Cuba.

It might sound lousy and cursi, but it’s like if my generation has lost a source of knowledge; a source to go when looking for the truth about the ®obolution. A place to go to rehabilitate our washed-up brains after being born under castro’s model for the hombre nuevo.

Que en paz descanse.

(Photo source: Prof. De la Cova / Latin American Studies)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cubanita in Colorado,leer tu comentario me ha hecho sentir orgullo de ser cubana,que una muchacha joven como tu pienses asi me hace tener un poco mas de fe en la humanidad,Pedro fue un gran hombre,yo era su esposa en la epoca de nuestra salida de Cuba en un sailboat y puedo asegurarte que el se sentiria muy feliz de que alguien como tu pienses asi.Gracias Tania Diaz

Cubanita said...

Tania, gracias por dejar tu comentario... que casualidad!; menos mal que tengo Kleenex al lado de la computadora. Pero fue una noticia triste. Siento que tengo que leer esos libros de nuevo y anotar los detalles de la vida de cada uno de esos hombres...No podemos permitirnos que caigan en el olvido.
Escribeme cuando quieras:
Mom4Cambio at gmail.com