Nov 1, 2008

I voted

Yesterday, I went to drop off my ballot at my local clerk & recorder office. I was not a big deal, apparently. No lines, no big excitement.

I felt a sense of relieve, though. Some sort of interior peace after you have full filled your duty. I understand it might not be such a great deal for a lot of people out there, but it is for me.

I was the first time in my life that I voted in a presidential election, trully exercising my free will.
Literally.

There were no pioneros with yellowish skin and languid faces standing at the sides of the booth -- doing that for the sole sake of the refreshment they would received after standing in there for a few hours.

No members of the CDR needed to pound in my front door, harassing me to go to vote.
No need to invalidate my ballot writing "Abajo" nobody.
No this time.

To the simple human eye, it was just a routine stop on my way to work, to drop a sealed white envelope in the hands of a very nice old man.

But, deep in my heart, I had strings in my body pulling from everywhere, in perfect harmony: it was Lee Greenwood's voice all over the place, although I was the only one listening.

Kriptonyte for others, yes.
But that was the music within my ears.

And no matter the course this election takes, I will have the peace of mind that I did the right thing, that I stood for the values of the Constitution and for everything this nation stands for; it was the original idea when I had to leave my homeland anyway.

(I just hope that I will not need to flee to somewhere else in the near future).

No comments: