Jun 16, 2009

The DEATH of journalism

In case you haven’t noticed, today you can mark your calendar as the day journalism officially died in the US.

It’s been on life support for quite a while now, so whoever out there have not seen the signs, well, frankly, must be because it is getting blind at will.

Forget about the so-called “Fourth Power”.
It’s gone. Forever.

The Drudge Report has the death certificate: ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE

Indeed, in case you’re one of the blind ones, let me give you a quick recap:

First, we had endless examples of media bias – and actually being in the tank – with one side during the past presidential elections. I don’t need to mention those, one by one, again. Do I?

Then came the tingling in the legs.

And the fake God followed through.

Shame. On. Them.
Let it be Barack Obama or any other president/politician/name for that matter. Shame on them.

Journalism’s ethics? Balanced reporting? Unbiased journalism? Really?
Get me a 18th century’s dictionary. You won’t find any of those around here.

I mean, after what recently came out of the mouth of the editor of one of the most known magazines in the country…

The values of my profession are all buried in the concrete walls of my J-School classrooms at FIU, where I first learned that my job as journalist should be to report and present the facts, and let the people draw their own conclusions.

And these media companies still wonder where they are sinking like Titanic-style monsters, loosing readership every second? C’ mon guys, you know better…

RIP American media.

Welcome your new State Run Media, a.k.a. SRM

or,

ABC: All Barack Channel

Granma, anyone?

PD: if you’re thinking in going to J-School, consider switching to McDonald’s. It will be a way more honorable work to do – no pun intended. (At least, meanwhile the government doesn’t take it over the same way it did with GM, banks, insurance companies, etc, etc, etc)

3 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Amen sister.
Amen.
Honestly though...I think journalism died during the elections.
For me it wasn't B.O. winning that upset me the most...it was learning that journalistic integrity had died and I could no longer trust the news. That was a sad sad epiphany I will never forget.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm also constantly saddened whenever I stop to contemplate the power the media has over the people. The masses turn in to zombies and believe everything that's spinned to them. Makes me so mad.

Cubanita said...

It is, indeed, very sad. I can't stop wondering if I will ever be able to go back and work as a journalist... don't think so, at least not in the SRM.

Had enough of it back there in el terruno. No way I'm gonna have a deja vu with it.