Jun 12, 2009

One of the saddest parts of the last 50 years...

It's the story Willy Chirino narrates in this song. The song that always bring tears to my eyes and, inevitably, takes me back to the society where I grew up, where "the future ran away after jumping off the malecón"--heading North.



It is the tale of a lot of young Cuban women that have chosen prostitution in order to survive. I wouldn't dare to judge them, since only one can knows what circumstances in life can take you there.

But this song is the condensed version of the bizarre --but so real-- Cuban world that Amir Valle describes in his book "Jineteras" -which I have read and think it was very good.

Well, let me tell you; el cuartico sigue igualito. Nothing have changed, even though the tourism in the island is in shambles.

It's a heartbreaking reality that not everybody is willing to see. It's the cruel paradox of those that want to promote democracy for Cuba, one mojito at a time.

No comments: