Mar 20, 2008

Revisiting my date with freedom

Remember my affair with freedom a few days ago?

And my Two Cents over there in Babalú, regarding the reactions towards the Cuban soccer players that recenlty decided to dramatically change el rumbo de sus vidas?

Well, today I found a more detailed explanation of some of the feelings I was traying to portray with those comments, courtesy of the fellow Cuban blogger that runs Belascoaín y Neptuno.

Please, note that, as I've said before, it all depends on the individual and surely, only time will tell --énfasis mío.

"Estas fases son aplicables a cualquiera que salga de la isla por avión y decida no regresar a la jaula grande. (Los balseros llegan a Estados Unidos ―si llegan― curados de espanto; quienes cruzan la frontera o quienes piden asilo político tan pronto pisan el primer aeropuerto foráneo también suelen estar exentos de estas fases).

Cuánto tiempo dura cada fase varía por caso y depende de factores internos ―el peso corporal de cada individuo―, así como de condicionantes externos que incluyen: número de familiares que dejó en la isla; número de compatriotas en fase militante (ver definición abajo) con quienes está en contacto sistemático; acceso enfermizo a internet, donde leerá decenas de blogs que toquen el tema cubano; etc. Etcétera ―decía un eximio profesor hace década y media― es lo que uno no sabe".

And I can tell you for sure; the level of exposure that you have to blogs plays a crucial role. At least it was in my particular case.

Being a reporter --although always advocating for the Cuban cause and commited to enlighten the masses with the truth-- I'd always find myself facing the resistance of the leftist castro lovers that lives in ignorance, along with the journalistic duty to avoid biases (aunque, en realidad, nunca tuve la oportunidad de escribir mucho sobre Cuba, since "it was not relevant for our readership").

But, when I discovered the blogosphere, blogger and the freedom to write whatever I liked, no autocensura allowed here (except for extraodinary security reasons) ; I truly realized the power that I have in my hands, and my computer keyboard.

Not only for the sake of my child's heritage and my family memories, but also for the cause of Cuba's freedom.

Only then I started to appreciate the value of having your own militancia, in your very own terms, y sin tener que pagar cotización.

That's why when I write (or blog) is when I really feel that freedom is not a chimera, and that I have it quite close to me. And I feel damn thankful for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

M-
I love your fresh perspective. We obviously come from two very different versions of Cuba - B.C. & A.R. (after the Revolution). But I know this- Our cause is the same. CAMBIO.

Besos,
Marta

Cubanita said...

Marta, es cierto que las perspectivas son diferentes, pero creo que ambas son igual de difíciles... a veces no puedo evitar sentirme engañada, como que alguien muy perverso me ha robado los mejores años de mi juventud...but, we got to do what we got to do, echar pa'lante y CAMBIO. Seguro que yes!